Thursday, August 2, 2007

my thoughts on quotes

i've always liked quotes. perhaps it is because i feel less-equipped to put across my own thoughts.
but sometimes, it's because they let us know other people share the same thoughts n feelings like our own.

"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
John Churton Collins

"A wretched soul, bruis'd with adversity,
We bid be quiet, when we hear it cry;
But were we burthen'd with like weight of pain,
As much, or more, we should ourselves complain."
William Shakespeare

"What progress, you ask, have I made? I have begun to be a friend to myself."
Hecato, Greek philosopher

"After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box."
Italian Proverb

"Where beams of imagination play,
The memory's soft figures melt away."
Alexander Pope

and to round it off, on this sharing of quotes,
"I have gathered a posie of other men's flowers, and nothing but the thread that binds them is my own."
Michel de Montaigne

No comments: